The support fund is designed to assist individuals with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus with the cost of specialized leisure and recreational equipment, medical equipment, services such as specialized lessons or camps and emergency personal expenses directly resulting from the fact that the person has spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus.
Three Types of Expenses:
- Expenses for equipment or services, which are necessities or make life more pleasant and would not be required if the person did not have spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus.
- Emergency personal expenses such as travel expenses from out of town when a person with spina bifida and or hydrocephalus is hospitalized. This would also cover the rental of specialized equipment due to an emergency (e.g. special wheelchair, ramp, etc.).
- Emergency personal expenses for adults with spina bifida that are required to maximize their independence in the areas of self-care, productivity, and leisure.
This fund does not cover expenses which would be covered by Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL), Family Supports for Children with Disabilities (FSCD), private/public medical insurance, Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH), or any other government programs.
To be eligible for the support fund, you must be:
- A member in good standing with the Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Association of Northern Alberta.
- A resident of Northern Alberta or the North West Territories.
Members claiming under this fund are strongly encouraged to make a commitment of volunteer time to support the SBHANA where possible.
To apply for a support fund request fill out all the applicable fields in the Support Fund Application.
**Applications will be considered at the meetings of the Board of Directors. Please be advised that there are no meetings in July, August or December.
Funds will be paid out based on receipts or paid directly to the supplier. All funds must be disbursed with six months of approval by the board. Only equipment and services purchased after the member has joined the SBHANA are covered. Members should recognize that the SBHANA may not be able to meet all requests and should apply before committing to any purchase.
- Members should shop around for the best deal just as they would for their own purchases.
- Members who receive equipment that is substantially paid for by the SBHANA are asked to consider recycling used equipment so other members can benefit.
- The fund will NOT pay the AADL annual deductible. Exceptions may be made for adults with spina bifida who demonstrate financial need.
- There is a limit of $1,000.00 paid in support of each individual with spina bifida per annum. Members may apply more than once to the support fund within each fiscal year.
- Cases where the GST brings the total over $1,000.00, the board will determine if GST will be paid on each case individually.
- The overall budget for the support fund is $18,000.00 each fiscal year, subject to annual review.
- The name on each support fund request will be revealed to the board, but will remain confidential and not be included in the minutes.
- The SBHANA does not endorse products or services, and is not to be held liable for any personal or property damage caused by the product or service funded. Neither is the SBHANA responsible for repairs to the product.
**Please note that the SBHANA Board meets on the 3rd Thursday of the month. Please submit your support fund application by the 2nd Friday of the month in order to have your application considered at that month’s board meeting. Thank you!